Mill Hill School Foundation Archives
A brief History of the School can be found here; there are a number of published histories, the most recent being “Strikingly alive”: The History of the Mill Hill School Foundation 1807-2007 by a former archivist, Roderick Braithwaite. The archives date from the School’s formation in 1807 and are housed in a small annexe to the main School building. They include:
- Governance records
- Accounts and other financial records
- Legal papers
- Plans and drawings
- Prospectuses and promotional literature
- School societies and teams
- Rules, policies, punishment books, etc
- Official lists and registers
- Records relating to syllabuses, examinations, charity work, etc
- School magazines and other publications
- Books, articles and reminiscences relating to former pupils
- Papers of individual pupils
- Photographs, film and sound recordings
- Artefacts: uniform, cups and shields, flags, etc
- Records of Old Millhillians
The Archivist works one day a week, normally Wednesdays, in term time only. He is happy to answer any enquiries and researchers can visit the School by appointment. For those unable to visit, small items can be scanned and sent electronically, subject to the usual copyright requirements.
An oral history project is to commence shortly; Old Millhillians will be interviewed about their time at the School.
The Archivist is also responsible for the archives of the three other Foundation Schools; Belmont, Grimsdell and The Mount, Mill Hill International.