New House was built to house the Sanatorium in 1877 following an outbreak of Scarlet Fever. In the 20th Century the building was used as staff accommodation, a medical centre and recently as a girls’ boarding house known as Cedars. In 1976 it became a day house under its first Housemaster Mr HS Stringer. In September 2005 Priestley was relocated to the upper floor of the house. Cedars and Priestley relocated to the main school during Easter 2017.
New House is located off The Ridgeway in its own amazing grounds, overlooking the new Sixth Form Centre and the CCF Compound and miles of protected parkland with panoramic views towards the West End of London.
It’s a very exciting time for us as we move to New House as the House has been fully refurbished during the past six months.
New House is the smallest of the boarding Houses, and has room for twenty-six junior and senior girls, all of whom have study bedrooms. The first year pupils stay in rooms of two or three. The Sixth Form have larger study bedrooms, shared between two in the first year, then they are often in single rooms for their final year. We are lucky to have a large common room area, a television room and a separate study room where junior girls will do Prep in the evenings. In addition, there is a kitchen where tea, coffee and snacks can be made at set times. The gardens are large enough in which to play badminton and volleyball during the summer months
Our aim is to create a comfortable, happy and caring environment where the girls feel safe, secure and valued within the New House community whilst supporting them to develop into confident, independent young women equipped to deal with the challenges of the 21st century.